Do you want to start quail farming? Here’s the complete guide for raising quail at your home for meat and eggs. Learn everything to start a small scale profitable quail farm & business plan from scratch.
Quail farming business is economically very profitable. You can cultivate or grow quail bird in your home. Let’s know how to start your quail farm from the ground.
Table of Contents
- How to Start Quail Farming:
- Quail Farming Information:
- Benefits of Quail farming:
- Suitable Temperature, Light, and Humidity for Rising Quails:
- Quail Farming Business Plan:
- Choose The Best Farming Method:
- Best Quails Varieties:
- How to Create Habitat [Cage Structure]:
- Essential equipment and materials for the farm:
- Farm management: General Caring methods of Qualis
- General Feeding Process in an Organic Quail Farm:
- Reproducing baby quails:
- Raising Baby Quail:
- Common Diseases:
- Marketing Plan for Quail Farming Business:
How to Start Quail Farming:
Step by step guide for starting your quail farm for organic meat and eggs.
The steps to start your farm will be like this. Note, this will be covered in this article. You can navigate between them by clicking any topics on the table of contents above.
Primary Steps- Information: First, Information about this farming, Benefits of this farming, Appropriate Temperature, light and humidity for rearing, And choosing a rearing method depending on your needs.
Second Steps- Setting up: Different shade types, how to build the house (in this farming cage), required materials for the farm, next choose your preferable farming method, and select the best species and collecting them.
Third Step- Rearing: Learn general caring methods, what and how to feed quails, general habitat maintaining and quail reproduction information and care.
Fourth Step – Advance Care: Biosecurity of the farm, how to make organic germicide and the advance care methods to increase productivity.
Finally- Baby Quail Care and Business Plan: How to build an artificial brooder, how to move newborn quails into the brooder.
Quail Farming Information:Its native residence was in Japan. For the first time, Japanese scientists have invented the way to adopt Quail as a domestic bird. Later, in other countries of the world including the USA, Canada, Kania, Zimbabwe, India, and Japan… Click To Tweet
You may already know that it is probably the smallest species among the different poultry birds. However, growing quails is much like pigeons but does not require such a specific housing. And there is no need for a large farmhouse like chicken. That is why rising quail has become very popular nowadays.
Quails is a well-known as a miniature bird in the world. The advantage of cultivating quail birds at home is very large because it is the smallest variety of domestic birds. This is why starting a quail farm at home is very easy.
Benefits of Quail farming:
There are many benefits of modern days quail farming, for example-
- It can be raised easily in small areas because they are a very tiny creature.
- The cost of food and shelter is very low. And they don’t require dedicated farmhouses.
- Very low initial start-up cost, anyone can start a business with a small amount of capital.
- They become mature in very short time. Actually in just 5 – 8 weeks.
- A single female quail lays 150 – 300 egg in a year.
- Furthermore, meat and eggs are very healthy and tasty.
- Compared to chicken, the body weight proportionately is higher.
- And the meat has less fat than chicken meat.
- They are immune to the disease. Also, the survival rate is higher than chicken.
Suitable Temperature, Light, and Humidity for Rising Quails:
Temperature: The suitable temperature of the quail farming is 21 to 32 Celsius (69.8 ° – 89.6 ° Fahrenheit). But depending on varieties they may sufferer from heat stress. We found that our quails feel comfortable in between 22-25 Celsius.
Light: Quails egg production is very dependent on light. Hence, to get enough number of eggs.There should be 16 hours daily lighting (including daylight) from the ninth week to the quail farm. Click To Tweet
- To produce maximum numbers of egg, they will need 16 hours of light when they are about 9 weeks of old.
- And also the lighting time is increased gradually from seven weeks.
- Light can achieve by using electric bulbs and sunlight.
- Ensure 13 hours light at seventh weeks.
- Increasing it at eighth and ninth week to one hour per week.
- Which means it must be increased in15 and 16 hours respectively.
With a 40-watt bulb, 10.0 square centimeter of space can be illuminated. And we found egg production increases in red color light compared to blue color.
Moisture: Quail can easily adapt to 40-70% relative humidity. However, the relative humidity of the house is 55-60% good.
If the relative humidity is higher then their feather will be moist, respiratory problems and increase the chance of fungus. If the relative humidity is less then their feathers will become rough.
Quail Farming Business Plan:
Now, after starting a farm for commercial purposes the next thing you have to carate is the business plan. If you follow all the steps we mentioned here, we will start an organic farm. Because there is no other alternative and it is too easy to maintain this farm organically.
There are several benefits of producing an organic product. In this farming, it opens a broad area of consumer affection. So there will be noticeable demand in your locality.
So, create an appropriate business plan and keep this points when creating a policy.
- How and Where to sell, Which varieties have more demand?
- How much to grow? Eggs or meats?
But you know every local or small-scale business involves some common difficulties. The challenge for you will be Marketing. Let’s determine that in the marketing plan for quail farming.
Choose The Best Farming Method:
There are three different rearing methods. Choose the best one depending on local demand.
According to the purpose, commercial quails farming can be divided into three groups. Now learn more about each rearing system. And next, build the adequate habitat or cages depending on the raring procedure.
Layer Quail Farm
In a layer quail farm, The Quail is usually raised for 54-weeks.
Layer Coil Farm is dedicated to egg production. Usually, Japanese Quail from the age of 6-7 weeks and the bobwhite quail at the age of 8-10 weeks start laying eggs.
If the management is accurate, then every Japanese quail lay yearly 250-300 and bobwhite quail lay 150-200 eggs.
Broiler Quail Farm
Broiler qualil farm is dedicated to meat production.
To produce the soft and delicious meat, the broiler is raised in this farming procedure. These species are little bigger then layer quail and gain maximum weight quickly.
Although they are dedicated to meat production the average egg production of boiler quail farming is about 150-250 in a year. But, Farmers do not rise them for that long period of time. average Northern Bobwhite is weighed in at about 170 grams. But Jumbo Coturnix species gains 450 to 460 grams at their adulthood.
Breeder Quail Farm
This breeder quail lays egg and produce baby quails. Farms for up to 30 weeks of its age.
The breeding quails used to produce eggs for the production of new quails. The general purpose of this method of farming is to sell quails. Some Quails are extremely beautiful. People always like to buy to rear commonly.
Typically it takes 7-8 weeks for Japanese quail and 10-weeks bobwhite quail. Smal varieties like Button Quail are a perfect choice. The ratio of male and female should be kept in pairs (1: 1) in your farm.
Best Quails Varieties:
Though, this farming is not spread all over the world yet. They have some awesome varieties.
The best varieties for start quail farming are given below. There are more than 140 kinds of them. Here are the most popular and profitable breeds. Beside them, there are numbers of other species. depending on your need you can farm one or more.
|Species Name||Identification||Time to Mature||Weight (At Adulthood)||Eggs Per Year|
|Japanese quail||Length Range: 17-19 cm |
Size: Small (5 – 9 in)
Color Primary: Brown
|5-6 weeks||90 g||250-300|
|Northern Bobwhite quail||Medium, morphologically variable quail.||8-10 Weeks||179 g||150-200|
|Jumbo Coturnix||The bigger selectively bred Coturnix plus are commonly adopt for meat.||6-7 weeks||450 g||150-220|
|The Texas A&M||Heavily Muscled Coturnix||6-7 weeks||370 g||150-200(App.)|
|Button Quail||Button Quail are small breeder quail.||5 weeks||130 g||100-120|
How to Create Habitat [Cage Structure]:
The size of cages is somewhat different for different from each other. Learn how to build the best habitat for your birds. Here we will describe the starter cage size and measurement. There are another two types of cages. Which is used in commercial quail farming. We will describe them in the relevant sections.
In order to build a house, the following points should be kept in mind.
- Ensure a comfortable environment for birds.
- Ensure natural light-air and keep it under control as needed.
- Ability to protect the birds from excessive winter, hot or rain and damp conditions.
- Construction of houses in a specific distance and required size.
- Construct different rooms for different ages of quails.
- In order to avoid any bad smell due to bird’s stomach and urine, it is necessary to take proper action beforehand.
Appropriate Cages for Layer Quail raising:
Each cage is about 6 ft. long and 1 ft. wide and divided into 6 parts.
- For utilizing the space, you can build up to 6-story cages. Also, keep at least 8- 10 cm distance between two stories.
- And use moveable wooden parts at the lower part to separate them, so that the birds can be cleaned.
- Place a long narrow water pot is in front of the cage.
- Typically, 10-12 birds are fed in each cage in a cage by commercially producing eggs.
- For the breeding, 1 male and 3 female quails are kept in this cage.
Appropriate Cages for Broiler Quail Farming:
6 quails can be raised in every square foot.
For broiler farming method your goal of farming is to sell them as meat. That is why to gain weight the bird needs to be kept in smaller space.
- After 2 weeks, Quails can be kept in the cage for rearing.
- It helps to increase physical weight, because of this it is possible to avoid unnecessary roaming of birds.
|Age||Cage Size||Number of Birds|
|2 Weeks||3 x 2.5 x 1.5 ft.||100|
|3-6 weeks||4 x 2.5 x 1.5 ft.||50|
Essential equipment and materials for the farm:
There are a number of tools and materials required to handle this organic farms, as follows:
1. Brooder Hover,
2. Heater / Stove,
3. Plastic Tick Feed Tray,
4. Food pot,
5. Water pot,
6. Egg laying box,
7. Electric bulb,
8. Defaults or balances,
9. Bucket, shovel, spade, bowl, knife, basket, peal, tulle etc.
10. Egg laying house.Boxes for constructing egg laying cage.
11. Bamboo, wood, corrugated, polythene or triple
12. Thermometer, hypermeter and,
13. Battery or Brooder.
The following are some of the important tools and materials described below
There will be a high-quality food serving dish;
(A) It can easily be filled with foods.
(B) Easily cleanable.
Water or drunker:
Whether the cage or liters are performed in the same manner, the characteristics of a potter’s water pot are as follows:
(A) Birds will get clean water supply from it.
(B) It will be easy for drinking water.
(C) Cleaning will be easy.
(D) Durable and cheaper in price.
Guideline for Collecting Quails:
The ultimate checklist before and after for buying quality quails.
- Clean the shade, properly. Check every component especially the electronics parts.
- And, buy best quality quails, from an established farmer.
- If you collect 2/3 days baby quails, store them into the brooder for one or two additional days.
- After that, Place them into rearing shade.
- Now, keep an eye on weak chicks. If it is needed, place them again into the brooder. Learn how to make brooder here, and Brooding principles.
Considerations for child transfers:
If it demands more than three hours for the transferal, then mix glucose with some melon or boiling green pepper pieces. And spread it in the box. That will protect the child from the water disorders.
- Transport must be cleaned properly and inside of the bacteria.
- Boxes cannot be higher than three levels.
- In the two layers of the box, 10 cm The distance should be maintained.
- And, assure enough clean air for the child.
Farm management: General Caring methods of Qualis
To get adequate production from the quail farming, each farmer must study the details of farm management. Minor negligence or defects is enough for the failure of farms. So, farmers please become extra careful when the following points.
Pain or Stress Removal: Remember this as a result of stress, the production decreases severely and sometimes it can result in even death. To get a good production from your farm, ensure the certainly comfortable environment that they will cherish.
Food and water management: Quail farming food and water management need be correct. If they have adequate food and water for each bird, they will relish the food and water.
Egg collection: Collect eggs at least two times a day. In the typical evening at 6: 00-6: 30 and the second night at 9.00 – 9.30.
Save the eggs: It must be stored immediately after collection of eggs. Reserve temperature and relative humidity are 12.8 ° -15.5 ° C, respectively. (55.0 ° – 59.9 ° F) and 75-80%.
Sexing: After the deletion of a hatchery from the eggs produced by a family or commercially managed farm, it is necessary to have sex or sexual intercourse as soon as possible.
Lip cutting or debeaking: Debeaking is an important factor in quail farm management. Debugging is to remove a certain part of the lip and nails.
Bedding materials: Litter and It’s management
In one word, the bed that is used in the quail bards room to make the accommodation comfortable is called litter.
How to Create Litter for Quails:
- In the beginning, spread 5 cm thick litter material on a clean floor.
- Then gradually add more litter material, and increase the thickness to 10 cm in 4-5 weeks.
- In the case of brooder foster child, before placing quails put 10 cm thick litter.
Materials for Creating Litter Bed:
Generally, as a litter Rice husk, Wood powder, Paddy or wheat dry, Straw, Woodstove, Nuts powder Etc. are used.
Bactericide and its use:
The role of disinfectant is very important in protecting the health of the harmful and sterile environment in the growing in a quail farm. Various experiments have shown that no bactericide is functioning alone. So, anyone who uses antibiotics such as heat (sunlight), coal-tas-derivatives, chlorine, formaldehyde, copper sulfate etc. should be used.
General Feeding Process in an Organic Quail Farm:
Feed them three times a daily, such as 6am, 12-1pm and 7pm
Like other poultry, daily food must contain six nutrients, such as water, carbohydrates, lipids, proteins, vitamins, and minerals. All the nutrients require to be supplied for the maximum amount of production from the quail farming. Now, learn what to feed and what not feed.
- They are very small, so you have to provide powdered foods.
- Moreover, clean all food and water pots using organic germicide.
- Ensure sufficient Water and food for each bird.
- Remember, at the age of 5 weeks, quails eat about 500 grams of food,
- 6 months old quails eat 30-35 grams of food every day and,
- For laying 12 eggs, they need around 400 grams of food.
- Make a balanced diet rich with required nutrients.
- In any reason, don’t supply fungus affected feeds
- Don’t supply dried fish, mussels, wheat.
- And don’t provide, until they completely finished the last meal.
How and What to Feed Depending on Age:
Use this chart to make 5 kg of starter mash using oil to feed 75 time.
On average, every adult quail needs only 8 kg of food per year.
|Organic Feed Ingredients||Child Mash (0-3 weeks)||Adult mash|
|Corn||27 g||31 g|
|Sorghum||15 g||14 g|
|Chill without oil||8 g||8 g|
|Wood nutcakes||17 g||17 g|
|Sunflower cake||12.5 g||12.5|
|Soya meals||8 g||–|
|Fish meal||10 g||20 g|
|Mineral mix||2.5 g||2.5g|
|Bite particle||–||5 g|
How to ensure more productivity:
To get the desired product from the farming, you should take care of the following factors.
- Collecting healthy birds. Buy baby bird from a well-established hatchery.
- From the 1st day of birth, ensure the right temperature, light, food, and water for them in the brooder.
- The regular formula for layers, the arrangement of pure water and daily 13-16 hours of light.
- Provide adequate air circulation in the bird’s house.
- Always keep the houses and cages clean and clean.
- And please do not disturb them by any means.
Reproducing baby quails:
500 female can gives birth to 1500-2000 quails.
At the age of 7-9th week, they started laying eggs. In that time, the 60-70% quail lay eggs. For the laying eggs, male quails should be kept with female quails at 8-10 weeks of age male at the ratio of 1: 5. The generally sit 18 days on eggs in hatching.
To ensure the healthier environment, spray good and effective bacterial spray immediately after scattering fresh litter material. However, perform this 2-3 day before moving the child into the brooder.
How To Build A Laying Nest:
The primary function of a laying nest is providing isolutation for egg laying quails.
Egg Laying house (egg-laying shade) can be built in private for each bird and shared for multiple birds. Each needs 15 cm in the personal space.
- To build a private laying nest, Use a 15cm Wide, 20 cm deep boxes.
- And in case of the shared nest for 25-30 quails, use 1m wide, 20cm deep boxes.
Re-production time care:
- If there is a lack of vitamins and mineral, then the newborn quail’s leg can be lean and weak. so ensure vitamins and minerals.
- Male quail some time quarrel with them. Do not take it lightly because female quails are much weaker at that stage.
- And, feed them separately. Always keep on eye on them when they are hatching.
Raising Baby Quail:
- Generally, the weight of baby quails is about 8-10g. As a result, they require more warmth.
- The lack of adequate warmth and intense cold gathering kids gather in one place, leading toward increased mortality.
- And, always protect them from the rats and other harmful animals.
How to Made The Brooder For Baby Quails:
One-day-old children are usually raised in to of a brooder. That ensure the right temperature, light for them.
The brooder has a heat source, such as electric heater, electric bulb, kerosene lamp, chaff-wood or coal lamp, light lamps or infrared bulb. But infrared bulbs are the most scientific.
- Broader has a shade that is known as Hover.
- It can be square, rectangular, hexagonal or round.
- And the broader hover can build with GI pips, bamboo or wood.
Inside, the brooder builds a 15cm round fence, so that the kids can properly take food and water inside the brooder and stay in one place. This circular ring called Chik Guard. It can be made with tin, tea, hardboard or thick paper.
All kinds of brooding make for layers or broiler are similar. During breeding, be aware of the following. For example,
1. Maintain the right temperature
2. Ensuring enough light.
3. Ventilation system.
4. Baby quail density (number)/ area.
5. Food and water management.
6. Healthy environment etc.
Artificial Brooding Equipment:
In order to make an artificial brooding. If you and want to make brooder the following machines will be required.
1. Browder or baby tempering device,
2. Chick guard/brooder or baby diversion,
3. Broom furnace or heater,
5. Liter or bed,
7. Hygrometer and,
8. Food and water pot.
One of the benefits of quail celebration is that they are less affected by disease than poultry. But, We are not saying that there are no diseases at all. They do not have to vaccinate for any disease. The reason behind is, they do not have fatal infections.
Most common diseases of chicken can infect quails. They can be affected by viruses, bacteria, fungus, microplasma, parasites, malnutrition, management defects, and conceptive problems can lead to various diseases.
Marketing Plan for Quail Farming Business:
Retailing is a very critical part of a wealthy quail farming business. The first step you need to make is finding out the demand in the marketplace. Generally, the eggs have more demand then meats.
- Does organic food has special interest among the people?
- Dose quail have demand?
Try to determine the demands of quail products in your local market. Without concerning immeasurable marketing abilities, you will not be capable to make the most profit from your business.
You can try asking your relatives and friends for help. Social media is one other place to hang on. Make the people in your area conscious about the benefits of quail eggs and meat by placing posters around your area. Inform the people about your products and ask them to tell others. You can also distribute leaflets. You don’t have to bother much about marketing when your farm will be popular enough.
Thanks! If you like this article please share. And, do you have any other questions about quail farming ask us in the comment below.