Starting a cattle farm for organic meat requires a set of application. Organic beef is one of the fastest growing sectors of the natural foods market. If you want to start a cattle farm for organic beef the cattle must have free access to the outdoors. The organic cattle farming defined as the animal that feeds only on certified organic herbs and grains. And also free of hormones and other potentially harmful medications, which is popular in conventional livestock production.
Here we describe to be the whole process as simple as it possible. Also, include a real-life case study of a cattle ranch. A real Livestock Project presented, where the breeding activity is pastoral. We could follow some ideas to raise organic beef.
- How to start a cattle farm in order to produce organic meat?
How to start a cattle farm in order to produce organic meat?
The process of starting a cattle farm and starting an organic cattle farm is identical in many perspectives. One thing that defers is everything must be done in the natural process. If you are a beginner in raising cows you should keep this in your mind. Which are 1.) This is really a hard process. 2.) Yet! the outcome is not secure for many regions.
The expenses of providing organic beef are costlier than commodity cow because of lower productivity, increased processing and marketing costs, and additional risks.
The developed country like USA, UK, Canada and European Union encourage farmers to farm organically. If you belong to these territories where organic foods are demanded. One of the biggest obstacles that you have to compete with traditional cattle farmers. Organic beef sales figured $146.7 million in 2015 in the USA.
How to start a cattle farm – what you need to know?
When are you about to start a cattle farm, the first question pop out is what is the perfect weather & place? Often people don’t understand this is a long-term process. Which requires a solid plan and hard labor. Setting up a farm structure depends contrariwise. There are some requirements to achieve organic meat certification. We suggest you contact with your local animal/ livestock administration before you start your farm.
Note: Contact with the local authority for the organic certification.
Like other organic farming methods, success in this farming depends mostly on the environment. Choose a clean, healthy place. Make sure natural supply of food and water.
Step-by-step process to start your own beef cattle firm:
- The first step to start a cattle farm – look for an organic meat producer in your locality to purchase organic cow calves.
- Organic meat usually produced with as much less restriction as possible. So decide the best way to house your livestock.
- Establish what type of feeding program works best for your livestock. After start a cattle farm successfully this will be your first priority.
- Organic cattle usually fed a strict diet or grazing with a diet supplemented with grain.
- Grass feeding consists of organic grass and hay, while a cereal-based diet includes grazing as well as organic grains. Grass-fed cattle tend to be thinner, while cattle fed grains are richer and fatter.
- Establish a very organic grazing area. Certified organic herbs must be strictly fertilizer and chemical free. So that only certified as organic or all natural remedies can use.
- Control your cattle carefully for signs of disease. Antibiotics or hormones should keep out of your operation. So consult your veterinarian. Obtain information on what products can use in case of emergency.
- Contact your local USDA office to find an organic certifier in your area. They will inspect your property and meal plan to ensure. If your property passes the inspection, the operation will certify an organic meat producer.
Steps to raise beef cattle organically:
- Keep calves that have large pelvises, and remember to choose a bull whose mother also had a large pelvis. These statistics should be available at the test stations[Case Study Below].
- Test bulls for STDs, scrotal circumference, the number of sperm and general physical health before breeding.
- Use the bulls that known to have fathered quality calves. Keep only the bull the best for your herd. The artificial method allows you to choose from a much wider range of bulls. It is also quite laborious. It requires that you synchronize the estrus cycles of the female and that it can detect the first signs that the cows are in heat.
- Keep your cows and heifers in good condition.
- Breeding record dates accurately. So that you will be able to feel for signs of pregnancy and determine if a cow has conceived as soon as possible.
- Inspect potential livestock carefully to make sure they are organic before buying them. Sometimes cow’s hormones can ruin their organic character.
- Do not limit the movement of your livestock. Organic cattle should have ample freedom to roam and graze at will, making a large. Enclose necessary for the comfort of your organic livestock.
Recreation pastoral and termination [Case Study]
Here’s a case study! After starting a cattle farm. British cow calves, which was raised in our farm organically. We start a cattle farm in a new place. And make sure organic food and natural growing process.
However, The final economic result will be higher. And, there is a better conversion of food into meat and with it. It allows anticipating sales.
Any other situation may affect the productive and economic response. That is why, It is necessary to record all expenses, income, deaths of a farm. With all this information, it will be possible to elaborate productive and economic indicators after a certain time. This is essential to monitor all the intervening factors. The success of the Project will depend largely on the accuracy and speed of these controls. [Pastoral- refers to a lifestyle where animal herding around the open fields according to seasons.]
Let’s see the data-
The pastoral lifestyle is that of cattle herding around open fields according to seasons and changing the water and pasture is possible. It involves the manual control of water and pasture.
|Categories||British calves (males and females)|
|Entrance to the pastoral system:||Calves weaned (150-170 kg/head)|
|Daily weight gain (estimated):||0.600 kg / head / day.|
|Duration of rearing (estimated):||Baby ling’s ± 270 days and heifer’s ± 150 days.|
Stage to Corral:
A corral (Spanish word) is a pen or enclosure for cows. If your cattle go out of the corral, you’ll have to rely on dogs or cowboys to assist you to round them up again. This stage allows close monitoring, which is a much-needed thing for calves.
|Entrance to the corral||Heifers enters in August (1st year) with 230-250 kg /head enter in December (1st year) with 280-300 kg/head.|
|Daily weight gain:||1.0 kg / head / day (minimum)|
|Sale weight:||380-400 kg / head (steers) or 300-340 kg / head (heifers).|
|Date of sale (estimated):||90-100 days (maximum). Steers would be sold around March (2nd year) and heifers in November (1st year).|
Evaluation of weight gains:
Making money from raising cattle for organic meat can be a challenge for any farmer. Evaluation of weight gains it is essential to have a scale to weigh animals.
In the pastoral fattening, it is advisable that, the weights made every 30 to 35 days. This is in fattening to pen every 15 to 20 days. Besides, The time the animals remain in the pens is much lower then pastoral fatting process. It is necessary to know how the real weight gains. After the real gains are more than 10% lower than the estimated ones we must act immediately.
Also, note this:
There would be two ways to intervene: one is by modifying the features of the diet. This could be incorporating grains. But, You can practice some protein concentrate, varying the supply of fresh forage or adding additional fiber.
Finally, it is important to use your knowledge as an administrator.If you start a cattle farm for the first time, take advice from nearby ranchers. And always get the benefit-cost ledger. Try a flock and then grow. Furthermore, Try different suppliers and see which bulls, or steers it is more profitable. It is the best business. Go for better volumes and results after having some experience, more food, and knowledge. We will always thank them to contribute to the work of another farmer who needs some ideas to start or improve.