Bees were used to be a common species all around the world. They gather together and go through a lot of hard work to create their own nests. Like all the other small species they usually move together. Most importantly, by transporting pollen among flowering plants, Bees keep the cycle of life turning.
However, we need to move Bee nest form one place to another. Whatever the region is, here is a complete guide to moving a beehive without interrupting them. I’ll cover the strategy before and after moving a beehive with the best way to move it safely.
- Basic Guidelines for Moving a Bee Nest Successfully
- How to Move a Bee Nest Safely
- Tips on Moving a Bee Nest in the Winter Season
Basic Guidelines for Moving a Bee Nest Successfully
When bees create nests in unusual places where you don’t want them to be in, you need to rethink. That’s when you think about moving a bee nest. At present, the bees are threatened with extinction. But the situation can make you move a bee nest.
Without having the right plan, it will results in losing bees.
So in this article, you will get to know some of the techniques you should use while moving a bee nest. Remember that you should only move a bee nest when you feel troubled or go through too much discomfort. Otherwise, you should not move their nests. As human beings and creatures of nature, we should cooperate in maintaining the existence of any species. So here is the detailed procedure of how to move a bee nest.
“Bess pollinate 70 of the around 100 crop species that feed 90% of the world. The world without them could struggle to sustain the global human population of 7 billion.” – BBC- What Hapes if Bee Don’t Exests?
Moving a beehive is not recommended for beginners as it can be dangerous for both. However, I will cover everything regarding this. So, if you are a novice, take time and follow it step by step guide.
What you Should Consider Before Moving Beehive?
Besides they are a species that are threatened of distinction So we should take care of the bees and their nests. And we should not move their nests in a way that is harmful to them. We should also keep in mind that a bee nest should be moved only when it is a matter of great disturbance to us or it is becoming harmful to us. Otherwise, we should avoid moving a bee nest from one place to another.
As the bees are organized, well aware of there home location. Do you know that? people believe that the beehive can be moved 3ft or 3 miles of the original location. As the bees can find out the nest location on that radius. But, sometimes we may require to move it to a small distance like 5- 10 feet. What to do then?
How their mind map works and navigate to home. This is an importent thing to learn in order to rehabilate them in a new place.
Normally, they forage up to a range of 3-5 miles to assemble nectar. However, they can easily back to there home. They can confirm their nest by seeing familiar things. One study shows that they verify their home by testing the nectar they have been gathered. However, you should use some small tricks to help them on the bees to get them to reorientate.
To move the nest in a short distance you should use put sticks and branches on the entrance of there home for at least 3 days. So, when you move it with the substance you keed in front of the entrance, it may create a hallucination.
Expert Reorientation Process
How to reoriente bees in a new place?
If the distance is lower then 2 miles then there will be a high chance that bees returning the old homestead. In fact, the last bees are naturally dead. So to avoid bee last understanding the reorientation process is essential.
The common ways or reorientation is –
- Locking up the entrance door for 72 hours. However, I will not recommend it on hot days.
- Moving the nest in bad weather, when they do not move around. I.E: in winter or rainy season.
- Placing an object in front there home as explained earlier.
Study Nest Locations:
You need to study the placement and the nest location very carefully. This will allow you to know what steps to take and how can the process be done. You would not want to jump on something right away without knowing the proper way to do it. So first of all, look closely and find out how this should be done in an easier way.
After studying the nest location now you need to decide the exact location where you want to relocate the bee nest. It will get easier for you once you are done selecting the location where you want to move the bee nest too.
Tools and Safety Equipment:
The required tools and equipemts for moving a hive safely.
Arrange all the necessary equipment or tools required for the operation. If you do not arrange them before you start working, things may get difficult. Because you might need any tool in the middle of the work and if you do not have that tool ready around you, you might get in trouble.
Besides, make sure to have enough protection for yourself before you start moving a nest. Bees are a united species. They do not usually harm you. But if they can realize that you are doing any harm to them, they might attack you. So protective clothing is mandatory before you move a bee nest. It includes at least a full sleeve shirt or cloth and also hand gloves. Get them ready before you go.
A list of necessary tools and safety equipment…
- Screen or mesh – to protect yourself. My suggestion is to wear a Beekeeping Suit with Round Veil.
- Duct tape – to wrap the box so that the bees can’t move out while transporting.
- Cushioning for the car ride -If you want to move it distance place,
- Spray bottle with water,
- Carpenters level,
If you want to move into a new nesting box, then this is applicable… https://carolinahoneybees.com/how-to-move-a-beehive/
Prepare a new nesting box
So it is better to be ready with a nesting box. You might require it while moving the nest to another place. Nesting box will allow you to comfortably move the bees.
Best time to move a beehive
You need to move a bee nest at night. It is an unavoidable condition if you are moving a bee nest. Bees don’t fly around at night. So you will find all the bees together at their nest. It will make things easier for you. This is why night is the best time to move a bee nest.
The best time to transfer beehive is after dark.
In the basic guidelines for moving a bee nest, I already mentioned that you should complete the operation at night time. Try to avoid moving the nest during the middle of the day or any time during the day.
Besides, in the winter or rainy days, they are inactive. That means fewer or no bees outside of there home. So, it can be an ideal time too.
As mentioned previously, you have to move a bee nest at night. So you definitely need a flashlight for the operation. Bees can trouble you by flying towards your flashlight. This happens with all other insects. So what you need to do is, you will cover up the flashlight with a plastic or a cloth. This will make the light red. Bees can’t see the color red. So you will not face any trouble.
However, If you are really unable to move the nest at night time then you should do this before the time of sunrise or right after the time of sunset. The reason behind this is that the bees are less active at this period of time. If you do this in the middle of the day, you may find many of the bees are out of the nest and actively working outside. Only by the time mentioned is suitable because you get all the bees together at that particular time.
Find a Companion:
It is difficult to move a bee nest alone. Any job is easier when multiple people are around. So it’s better if at least one person is ready alongside you for the job.
How to Move a Bee Nest Safely
If you are moving the bee nest after sunset, then wait till at least dusk. It will allow the bees to come back to their nests. This will make sure that all the bees are in the nest.
- Once all the bees are back into their nest, use something to block their entrance.
- You can use any type of entrance blocker to do this operation.
- It will make sure that none of the bees are flying away. It’s not mandatory to do so. But this will make the work easier.
- Now move the bee nest to your decided location. It has to be either within 3 feet or 3 miles away. The reason behind doing so is already discussed earlier.
Migrate a Bee Nest at a Distance of 3 Feet or 3 Miles
When you move a bee nest, make sure that you move it either 3 feet or 3 miles away from its previous location. Bees know their nest location really well. If you move the nest anywhere in between 3 feet or 3 miles, bees will easily find out their old residence and come back to it.
If you move it 3 feet or 3 or more miles away, it will be difficult and very less likely that the bees will find out their old nest location and comeback. Once it is moved 3 miles away to a new place, they will get themselves used to the new location and soon learn the new location of their nest.
So there will be two cases scenario. Moving it a short distance, or move it far. Lets, explore how to do it safely. Remember, both of the methods require different strategies.
You will need some techniques to wipe up Bees “mind map”.
Moving a Beehive a Short Distance
This technique is straight forward. However, if there are any other beehives nearby, it can create some complications. Therefore, keep a sign on the entrance for (3-7days) like a tree branch. Because, if they are familiar with there inhabitance and surroundings the process will be easier.
- Close the entrance door with duck tape.
- Move it using a steel garden cart or something similar. Don’t forget to place the tree branch.
- Then keep the entrance locked for at least 72 hours.
- However, you can move the hive only 3-4 feets each time.
- If you want to move it far than that distance, you can either move them 2-3 miles away and then bring back. or,
- Move 3-4 feets each week.
What if I want to move the bee house a single foot?
You can do it easily, without implementing any strategy. Just move it.
Moving a Beehive a Long Distance Efficiency
If you are going to transfer it more than a mile. Then,
- Choose the night time, when the foragers are inside.
- Close the entrance. Tie the whole hive carefully.
- Then, transfer it.
- After transferring the distance, don’t open the entrance.
- Once you have moved the bee nest to the new location, give the bees a little time to settle in. Wait at least 15 minutes before opening the entrance block.
- After 15-20 minutes, open the entrance block and let the bees adjust to their new location.
- At that time foraging identity the location change and forced to create a new home map.
Tips to Save Bees
- Put some amount of grass in the entrance and limit the excitement of the bees and let them settle. This will allow the bees to understand that it’s no longer their previous location. They have moved to a new location. The grass will gradually fall from the entrance as time goes by.
- If the temperature is not low enough or a bit higher than expected, you can spray some water in the nest. You can also do it by dropping some water. It will allow the condensation to take place and the bees will make it their source of water.
That’s it. This is all you need to know if you want to move a bee nest.
Tips on Moving a Bee Nest in the Winter Season
Another thing is the season in which you should move a bee nest. It is basically for the temperature which suits this operation. Winter is the perfect time for moving a bee nest. In this time period, the temperature varies from around 7 to 15 degrees. Even on rainy days, the temperature can be within this limit. So it can also be done in the rainy season.
- Now if you do this on a very warm or hot day, bees will find it difficult. Because bees require a lot of water on a hot day. So once you move their nest to a new place it will take time for the bees to find a water source.
- Another thing is, in a bee nest condensation can be used as a source of water. And it is created only when the temperature is low. So a rainy day or winter is the best time to move a bee nest.
- Bees are insects that help maintain the ecological balance of the environment. They also are a source of collecting natural honey. They collect honey from flowers and store them in their own nest.
- Besides, honey is beneficial for us and is a source of a lot of healthy nutrients. As bees are helpful for the environment, it is our duty to safeguard them from any harm that could happen to them.
At this stage, you probably find everything you need to know for moving a bee nest. So, whether you want to move it to a small distance or a long-distance, first take a strategy before anything. It will aid in saving bees. Thanks, If you need any help or have anything to ask comment bellow.