Even if there are many alternatives to the bulb planters such as just using a trowel to dig out a wedge-shaped hole or digging a trench and planting bulbs together, why do we still need bulb planters? Bulb planters help to create an impressive layout for the garden.
The reason is very straightforward. It is good for burrowing holes for bedding plants too. Here we will be giving an insight on the top 11 bulb planters currently available in the market. Also, we will discuss everything that you will need to know before and also while using bulb planters.
- What are a Bulb Planter and its uses?
- How To Choose The Top Rated tools for Planting Bulbs- Features to Look for in a Good Bulb Planter
- Top 11 Best Tools for Bulb Planting
- Edward Tools Bulb Planter
- Garden Auger Drill Bit Garden Auger Spiral Drill Bit
- Jisco JB24 Bulb Planter,2-¾-Inch by 24- Inch
- Garden Weasel 91350 Bulb Planter,40” long
- ProPlugger 5-IN-1 Lawn and Garden Tool, Bulb Planter
- Esschert Design Bulb Planter
- Flexrake LRB120 Adjustable Hinged Bulb Planter
- DeWit Professional Bulb Planter
- Bond Bloom Plymouth Garden Bulb Planter
- Dibble Bar with Steel- Long Hand Gardening Balb Planter
- Tips for Choosing a Planter
What are a Bulb Planter and its uses?
Gardening can be a tedious task if not done properly. Preparing the right environment for gardening is a laborious task by itself. A bulb planter is a tool that eases this task slightly by coring out the soil to prepare a hole in the ground to plant seeds.
Using bulb planters not only replaces the use of spades to dig into the ground to plant seeds, but most of them also have measurements on them that help you gauge how deep the bulb has to be placed. Instruction on how to use the planter depends on the unit purchased, as some of them are manual while others have electric or battery-powered drill attached to it.
How To Choose The Top Rated tools for Planting Bulbs- Features to Look for in a Good Bulb Planter
Here are some of the features to look for when you plan to purchase the best bulb planter.
- Price – The price of the bulb planters is affected by several factors such as the materials used. High-end bulb planters will cost more than $100, while the least expensive is not of the same quality as the high-end ones and will feel like a waste of money.
- Weather-resistant – If the planter is not weather resistant or made up of a rust-free metal like steel or aluminum, at least make sure it has a weatherproof finish.,Many planters are covered up with chromium and zinc to protect it from corroding.
- Ruler – Planters nowadays use rulers that are engraved on the sides. The rulers are generally used to measure the perfect planting depth. This is mostly useful if you wish to follow the planting instructions accurately.
- Spring-loaded handle– This is more advanced than the ruler described above. You must but a short-handled bulb planter if it does not have a compressible handle to open up the sides.
Types Of Bulb Planting Tools
There are the top two types of bulb planters. These are the long-handled bulb planters and short-handed ones.
There are four types of handheld bulb planters in general-they are :
- Spade(similar to a garden trowel but the spade portion is somewhat narrow),
- Dibber(a pointed device used to make holes in the ground),
- Soil Release (extracts the soil to plant the bulb and releases the soil to cover the ground after placing it).
The long-handled ones are easy to control compared to the short /handheld ones. They generally are available with the T–shaped handle at the top with the spade at the bottom. Place the planter in the soil, press it down on the handle and push it down The bulb planters have the soil that came out while plunging the spade deep into the ground while the spade may come out the core of the hole to be replaced manually.
The difference between the manual bulb planter and powered is that manual bulb planters are for those who are willing to exert more force to dig deeper, remove the soil and place the bulb in the ground. A powered bulb planter is generally attached to a drill that does all the complex tasks for the user. The drill spins the auger deep enough to dig in a deep enough hole for the bulb.
Long-handled vs. Short-handled
The short-handled bulb planters are used by bowing down. Also, it does come with a spring release handle to remove the filth.
Long-handled planters are similar to the short-handled ones in terms of design with an additional footrest and a longer handle, unlike the former one. This is more effective if the soil is compact which is easy enough to push in.
Top 11 Best Tools for Bulb Planting
The tools with the best review are as follows; Here, I have reviewed the best ones for vegetable seed planting, flower tree planting, and small size tree plantings.
Edward Tools Bulb Planter
One of the best bulb planter for flowers. This is the best non-electric manner to plant tulips, daffodils, lilies, dahlia bulbs, etc. Flower bulbs add a great view to your landscape. This can be a good gardening tool to have if you wish to use your body weightless as it does not allow you to bend too much that can cause a strain on the back and other body parts.
This also comes with a lifetime warranty, which means if anything happens to the tool, you can go to the nearest store that sells them and get an immediate replacement. It also has an automatic soil release mechanism that will prove effective while removing the dirt. Also, it has a depth marker for the persistent outcome.
Features in short:
- It is hefty
- Excellent for hard soils
- Designed with a comfortable handle
- Comes off more often
- Many find it small to be used
Garden Auger Drill Bit Garden Auger Spiral Drill Bit
Garden Auger Drill Bit is one of my favorite tools to do planting and soil digging works. The region behind that, this tool is pretty comfortable and solid to work with. The material it builds with is solid steel, hance digging hard soil is not a problem. Hence, the .8cm non-slip hex drive is compatible to work with 3/8″ or larger drills. This will give you versatility and efficiency to work.
- A solid garden bulb planter, designed to work efficiently with any type of soil.
- Compitable to input in ⅜ or larger drills (18V or greater).
- A professional spiral hole drill, reliable for any landscaping works
- Perfect for planting and mixing.
- It requires additional drill machine.
Power Planter 3”X24” Extended Length Bulb
Although there are several brands available in the market. Power Planter 3 X 24” Extended Length Bulb is from a well-known brand and works effectively to meet the planting needs. Due to the complicated craftsmanship, it is highly enduring. This planter can be used to plant bulbs, cultivating post holes, plant bare-root trees or mix batches of mortar for landscape.
It has a length of 24 inches that makes sure it does not bend over when drilling. Also as it is an original US-made product, you need not worry about its quality.
- Works well with hard soil
- Can be used in different applications
- Can work effectively
- Drill could be made of harder grade steel
Jisco JB24 Bulb Planter,2-¾-Inch by 24- Inch
As its description stated above it has a 24-inch drill, that can make your planting experience effortless and exciting. The LEAF HD ZX-9 1 Garden Hose Splitter can satisfy the water needs. This bulb planter can be used planting nursery stock seedlings and sowing bedding plants. Some unique features of this bulb planter are the inclusion of the large auger, where larger bulbs can fit in. Fits any electric or cordless drill ⅜ inch or 1/2 inch. It also has a strong steel body for better durability.
- Easy to use,
- Has a nice large auger,
- Good for planting spring bulbs,
- Excellent metal construction,
- It can be used with an electric /cordless drill.
- Works fine only one soft soil.
Garden Weasel 91350 Bulb Planter,40” long
As a long-handled bulb planter, it is easy to use. It can be used similarly as a shovel by holding onto the handle and then make sure that the foot is on the footplate.
Following the above steps, you will need to push the blade to the ground, twist and then finally removed After moving from one bulb to another, the core comes out by itself. You do not need to assemble it as it comes ready to use from the box. It has a high-quality carbon steel construction for durability.
Other features include a T-bar grip for superior leverage, extra wide non-slip footplate. sharp blade and pointed tip. Plus the tool is weather and rust-resistant which means it can be used in all conditions.
- Lifetime warranty,
- The tool is safe to use,
- Works on sticky clay soil,
- Cutting edge could be sharp,
ProPlugger 5-IN-1 Lawn and Garden Tool, Bulb Planter
This is a multifunctional tool, unlike others that can be used for a wide range of applications. This can be used to collect dirt in the shed, lawn, and sod plugger. soil sampler and others. This tool is durable, which means it will last for many years to come.it is made using carbon steel and has a powder coating to improve its strength. As it is a long-handled bulb planter there will be no strain on the back while doing your favorite hobby/pastime. All you will need to do is to step, twist and pull to sow the bulbs.
- Excellent quality,
- Long-handled, so no need to bend while working,
- Only good for small gardens,
Esschert Design Bulb Planter
Compared to the other tools, this bulb planter is designed, that it can bypass any barriers hidden in the ground. This means that you will be saving both time and energy in this manner. The tool has a T-grip that makes turning and holding it on a lot more easier. The strap with the tool allows us to store it effectively when it is not put into use.
- Made of wooden hand,
- Leather loop for hanging,
- Made of T-handle,
- Stainless steel construction,
- Can achieve a good hole depth,
- Wielding on the seam would be better,
Flexrake LRB120 Adjustable Hinged Bulb Planter
It is a USA-made high-end tool that makes sowing bulbs the least dreary task. Designed with a hinged soil opening so that the soil can be released easily. The
- Uniform holes,
- User-friendly workflow,
- It does not work well on hard soil.
DeWit Professional Bulb Planter
This is a Dutch company that does not compromise with the quality of its products. It’s gardening tools have a conventional design with thick welded joints and wooden handles.
So that the plating process is easy. This tool is made up of chrome-plated steel which makes it very sturdy. The poly handles make sure you have a good grip and maximum comfort when gardening. This is good for planting both bulbs and flowers alike. This digs deep enough to make sure you have uniform holes.
- High quality,
- Has a lifetime guarantee,
- Made of extra-durable carbon steel and sharp digging edge,
- No spring-release handle,
Bond Bloom Plymouth Garden Bulb Planter
This is a very easy-to-use planter for small scale gardening, planting and transferring bulbs. This has a two-way hose connector that is well made and works well.
The tool has a heavy-duty hammer tone finish which means it can be used for many years to come. Although the tool is sturdy enough, you may need to use more muscle power to make good use of it.
It has a power coated finish with a wooden handle so that it lasts long and is easy to use.it is 7.7 inches in length by 3-inch wide by 33.7 inches in height. Designed with a sturdy hammer tone finish.
- Easy to use,
- Designed for longevity,
- A perfect tool for planting bulbs,
- Does not work well with clay soils,
- Good tool but must be more powerful to work more effectively.
Dibble Bar with Steel- Long Hand Gardening Balb Planter
The uniqueness of this planter than the rest is that it is manufactured in a reputable firm, that is well known in the US for its farm and gardening tools. It has a strong steel body which means it is sturdy. The tool can last for over a year or so depending on how it is used.
The bulb planter is designed with a T-style handle that is very flexible to handle. It can plant up to 12 inches deep which is not possible with many bulb planters of similar configuration This tool comes with a limited lifetime guarantee from the manufacturer.
- It is sturdy and solid,
- Comfortable handle,
- Good for hard soil,
- Helps sow bulbs with ease,
- It is slightly heavy.
Tips for Choosing a Planter
Here are some of the things that you must be looking into before you head towards the market to purchase a bulb planter.
- Check on how easy is it to use. All the bub planters are not designed to be the same. Every bulb planter is different from the other – while some of very easy to use while others are equally complicated and you may need time to figure out how to use them. Try to check out for a planter that you can control easily and fits your requirements well.
- The most crucial consideration you must make while purchasing a bulb planter is its longevity. If you plan and purchase a durable product and use it accurately, you can always expect the best performance for years to come.
- Safety is very crucial when you are dealing with any tool you will not want to end up with bandages wrapped around your skins sustained from the injuries, after using the tool. henceforth make sure that the planter you buy has the instruction/ safety manual along with it.
- In many cases, the cost of the product is directly proportional to the quality of the same. If you wish to purchase a tool of better quality, you must invest in such a manner so that you can get a value for your purchase.
- If you buy a low-quality product, that would mean you will be doing regular replacements that can turn out to be expensive in the long run
So finally we got to know a great deal about the best bulb planters and explored various options available. These tools are generally good for people who do not wish to get dirty while gardening and these tools are used to make holes and plant bulbs with the least effort.